Popular Posts

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Why I Decided I'm Okay With Being Different

   So recently, I was getting ready for prom, and I really just wanted a simple, plain look. Now I would by no means consider myself a plain person, but I do find myself rather simple, therefore I did not want some ridiculous updo or tons of makeup because that's just not me. I generally don't wear a lot of makeup, and I often wear my hair naturally, down and curly like God gave it to me. I also don't like to stick out-at least not because of my looks-because I already stick out like a sore thumb at school and even in my own family because of my fair skin and blonde hair. Asking for a simple hairstyle and light makeup was also just me trying to avoid getting even more attention for looking different than anyone else.
   Of course, this plan did not work out. (My plans rarely do.) The prom's theme was "Roaring 20's" and my hairstylist had a very different idea than me. The updo that I did not want was exactly what she gave me. On top of this, she gave me a bright red lip while doing my makeup. Now don't get me wrong, I love the way I looked now, looking back at pictures. But when I got home, I cried. No one else had their hair done like that and I felt like I was wearing a mask with all the makeup I had on. I cried, not because I looked bad, but because it wasn't what I wanted. I definitely stood out, but it wasn't in a bad way at all, something that I understand now. But, like I said before, I did not feel that way the night of prom.
   We got to prom and walked in, and all the girls I saw had their hair down. I started feeling ridiculously insecure-one of my defining characteristics- and I wanted to hide. People were looking at me. A lot of people were looking at me. And what were they saying? "Oh my god, I love your hair!" "Who did your hair?" "It's so cool that you did your hair like that!" "I love that red lipstick on you!"
   Once again, my insecurities tricked me and made me think I looked weird, when in reality, I looked awesome and fierce. And now that I look at the pictures, I'm so glad I kept my hair like that and left all the makeup on. I've always known that I'm different, ever since elementary school. But now I'm starting to think that I like it. One of my favorite things to say is "No one ever got anywhere by being exactly like everyone else." I'm definitely going somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment